My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

There was no one there


Philip's second Halloween.
Yes, he was a ghost! What did you think he was?!

~~~~
(It was raining today, so still no furniture to take pictures of. Ahem. I should say there was no furniture of which to take pictures or something like that.)

~~~~

My grandmother's family had two houses. One in town and one in the country. Least you get any ideas, they were far from wealthy. One of their sons was killed during WWI and they used the insurance money to buy one of the houses. With thirteen children, any money realized after their death was divided into minute amounts, so my grandmother and her brothers and sisters didn't benefit a whole lot through the sale of the properties. There's more to that story, but I only have it third hand and don't feel at liberty to spread rumors.

Well, as usual I've strayed from the subject.

The house in the country, which in the present day is just a few miles from town, had a very long driveway. The driveway is now a loop populated with several houses. But in those days it was simply the drive up to their house. If they heard a wagon or a horse on the drive, they knew they were having company.

One dark and cold night, they heard horses pulling a wagon up the drive. Who in the world was visiting that late? Everyone scrambled to straighten up just as most of us do today when we have unexpected company. They heard the wagon pull on up to the house then..........nothing. They waited. Nobody came to the door. Someone looked outside to see if anyone needed help and no one was there. No horse, no wagon. Nothing but black night.

That house has another story I'll save for another day. My grandmother had several stories that will be told later. I miss her so much. She died in 1979 when my firstborn, Philip pictured above, was 6 months old. She was such a hoot. Lots of fun and had stories galore. I thought I'd always remember them, but I know there are many I've forgotten, just as I know I've got some confused. I wish I could ask her about her cousins, her parents, her grandparents. I did way back when, but I don't remember the answers.

~~~~
Have you tried the French's Crunchy Onion Chicken recipe that's in the pullout in all the magazines this month? We had it for supper (dinner to all you non Southerners out there) tonight. It was pretty good. Worth having again sometime.

~~~~
Yes, it's rained all day today! We couldn't go get the large piece of furniture today and probably won't get to tomorrow. We do need to have it out by Saturday.