
The little white puffball on the left was our Peek-A-Poo, Buffy. The picture on the right is our now 28 year old son, Philip, holding my parents' Poodles, Mitzi on the left and her mother, Cutie, on the right.
We got Buffy when she was 4 years old, a year younger than Erin was. Just a little later, my parents' got Cutie as a puppy. They let her have one litter, which turned out to be a litter of two. Mitzi was the only one that lived through birth and they kept her for a companion to Cutie. All three dogs were great friends. Well, Mitzi was a little standoffish, but Buffy and Cutie were friends. Early on, they played together, running around each other, chasing each other from one end of the room to the other, making hairpin turns, and tumbling over each other. Cutie gained a lot of weight and as they both got older the fun and games stopped.
My mother died in July of 1999. Buffy was 16 and loosing her vision, Cutie was 11 or 12 and very much overweight. In August, one month after Momma passed away, Cutie died quite suddenly of heart congestion. We all went to Daddy's for the "funeral". Ricky, Philip, Erin, Buffy and I. Daddy had Cutie in a duct tape sealed, Rubbermaid box for her casket which was still in the den. Buffy went to the box and sniffed around a bit. I'm sure she knew Cutie was in there and something wasn't right. The men went to the back yard to dig the grave, leaving Erin, Buffy, Mitzi and me in the house with Cutie. Mitzi seemed oblivious to everything that was going on. She just wanted to be petted, as usual. Buffy walked around, checking everything out then, out of the blue, looked toward the blank TV screen. The TV was not on. Besides that, she never looked at the TV. Some animals notice TV shows and sounds, but Buffy never acknowledged a TV was in the room. But that day, she looked straight at it, perked her ears up and cocked her head, like she was watching and listening to something.
Just then, she started running from one end of the room to the other, making those hairpin turns exactly like she did when she and Cutie were playing all those years ago. This went on until she tired and lay down to rest. We have no other explanation than Cutie's spirit was there and free. She could run and play like she used to when she was a puppy.
When we covered up her grave, Buffy laid down next to it and didn't want to leave. We had to pick her up and carry her away. One month later, our Buffy was dead. We left her in the back yard alone for about 5 minutes and she fell in the pool and drowned. She was a very good swimmer. I suppose it could have been the shock of it and not being able to see well or perhaps she had a heart attack. What I do know is I cried for three straight days. I blamed myself for leaving her, it was the last straw, loosing my mother, which was expected, then Cutie then my precious Buffy...... 1999 was a very bad year.
Next up: So That's Why I'm Afraid of Horses and Drowning!
~~~~
I'm feeling very special right now! Carrie at Oakrise Cottage has honored me with the You Make Me Smile Award, too! And Jayne at Country Cottage Chic thought of me for the Spirit of Christmas award! I just keep getting further and further behind. Or would that be farther and farther? I've taken too much time writing this post today and really can't spend much more time on the computer.
~~~~
I might have to skip posting tomorrow. It's yard sale day, ya know! We'll see what I have time to squeeze in.
~~~~
What do you think about Just Vintage for a shop name? Are there 782 other shops by that name all over the US? I'm still thinking, but that one is on the list.
I've been asked why I want to change the name from Snapdragon Antiques. I don't know. It doesn't seem to fit the physical store. My husband will have things in there, too. John Deere stuff and some other guy things. I don't want the fellows to think it's just a girl store. So, I'm thinking. I know I shouldn't think too much. In the first place, it hurts! LOL Then the more I think, the more confused I get. I should just relax and let it come - and trust that it will.
We got Buffy when she was 4 years old, a year younger than Erin was. Just a little later, my parents' got Cutie as a puppy. They let her have one litter, which turned out to be a litter of two. Mitzi was the only one that lived through birth and they kept her for a companion to Cutie. All three dogs were great friends. Well, Mitzi was a little standoffish, but Buffy and Cutie were friends. Early on, they played together, running around each other, chasing each other from one end of the room to the other, making hairpin turns, and tumbling over each other. Cutie gained a lot of weight and as they both got older the fun and games stopped.
My mother died in July of 1999. Buffy was 16 and loosing her vision, Cutie was 11 or 12 and very much overweight. In August, one month after Momma passed away, Cutie died quite suddenly of heart congestion. We all went to Daddy's for the "funeral". Ricky, Philip, Erin, Buffy and I. Daddy had Cutie in a duct tape sealed, Rubbermaid box for her casket which was still in the den. Buffy went to the box and sniffed around a bit. I'm sure she knew Cutie was in there and something wasn't right. The men went to the back yard to dig the grave, leaving Erin, Buffy, Mitzi and me in the house with Cutie. Mitzi seemed oblivious to everything that was going on. She just wanted to be petted, as usual. Buffy walked around, checking everything out then, out of the blue, looked toward the blank TV screen. The TV was not on. Besides that, she never looked at the TV. Some animals notice TV shows and sounds, but Buffy never acknowledged a TV was in the room. But that day, she looked straight at it, perked her ears up and cocked her head, like she was watching and listening to something.
Just then, she started running from one end of the room to the other, making those hairpin turns exactly like she did when she and Cutie were playing all those years ago. This went on until she tired and lay down to rest. We have no other explanation than Cutie's spirit was there and free. She could run and play like she used to when she was a puppy.
When we covered up her grave, Buffy laid down next to it and didn't want to leave. We had to pick her up and carry her away. One month later, our Buffy was dead. We left her in the back yard alone for about 5 minutes and she fell in the pool and drowned. She was a very good swimmer. I suppose it could have been the shock of it and not being able to see well or perhaps she had a heart attack. What I do know is I cried for three straight days. I blamed myself for leaving her, it was the last straw, loosing my mother, which was expected, then Cutie then my precious Buffy...... 1999 was a very bad year.
Next up: So That's Why I'm Afraid of Horses and Drowning!
~~~~
I'm feeling very special right now! Carrie at Oakrise Cottage has honored me with the You Make Me Smile Award, too! And Jayne at Country Cottage Chic thought of me for the Spirit of Christmas award! I just keep getting further and further behind. Or would that be farther and farther? I've taken too much time writing this post today and really can't spend much more time on the computer.
~~~~
I might have to skip posting tomorrow. It's yard sale day, ya know! We'll see what I have time to squeeze in.
~~~~
What do you think about Just Vintage for a shop name? Are there 782 other shops by that name all over the US? I'm still thinking, but that one is on the list.
I've been asked why I want to change the name from Snapdragon Antiques. I don't know. It doesn't seem to fit the physical store. My husband will have things in there, too. John Deere stuff and some other guy things. I don't want the fellows to think it's just a girl store. So, I'm thinking. I know I shouldn't think too much. In the first place, it hurts! LOL Then the more I think, the more confused I get. I should just relax and let it come - and trust that it will.