My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

She wasn't dead!


1950s Halloween coloring book from Saturday's sale. The cat is flocked.

We didn't make it to pick up the large piece of furniture yesterday, so no pics today. I'll just tell another spooky story.
~~~~

My great grandmother was a diabetic. Severe enough that she'd had a leg amputated. She died in 1933 at the age of 64. In those days, the dead were often prepared and laid out in the house, usually the deceased's home. My grandfather, her son-in-law, was in the room with them when they, the mortician people, were embalming her. He said she started moaning and he tried to stop them, but they just passed it off as gas escaping her body. (Perhaps once you begin the process or replacing blood with chemicals, it's too late anyway.) Most of us who have heard that story believe she was in a diabetic coma and was actually killed during the embalming process.

I've always heard of Victorians being afraid of being buried alive. They'd have a string attached to their finger that lead up to a bell above ground. I've actually seen a pipe at a grave in a cemetery. It seems like I've heard that they'd to that, too. Have a pipe going through the earth and casket so they could breathe and yell if they woke up. But don't you think the smell would come through the pipe? Ewwww!

~~~~



Jayne, at Country Cottage Chic, passed the Spirit of Christmas Award along to me. Thank you, Jayne! That was so sweet!

This award is for those who talk about and show the spirit of Christmas in their blogs.

What is the Spirit of Christmas you ask?

Quite simply it is those that have a generous and giving nature. Those who care about others. Those who have a kind word to say or a broad shoulder to lean on in the times that others need that. Those who display the "Spirit of Christmas".

We're supposed to pass it along to five blog friends.

So, I'm sending it to:

Lisa at A Thing For Roses because she visits her grandma.

Deb at Curious Sofa Diaries for sharing her luscious shop with us.

Lidy at French Garden House for the eye candy.

Colleen at Fresh Vintage for sharing her finds and, most recently, the "best sellers" list.

Karla at Karla's Cottage for giving the best parties ever!

Ladies you need to go here to pick up the graphic.

Thank you all for such enjoyable blogs. And, believe me, it was a hard decision. I love everyone's blogs. If you're on my list, I like to read your blog. I don't always comment, but am trying to get better at it. And there are so many, many more I haven't discovered, yet or somehow missed adding to my list. Arghhh! So many blogs, so little time!

~~~~

We're to go pick up the large piece of furniture tomorrow. The seller offered to sell me everything that was left. I don't know what all is there, though. Everything I asked about was gone, so we'll see.