My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Martha Stewart's new magazine and Make A Jewelry Christmas Tree!

This one slipped up on me! I almost missed today's Deal Of the Day, Martha Stewart's new magazine, Blueprint, for only $9.79! I'm not a huge Martha fan, but this magazine intrigues me. I think I'll take advantage of the special price. Hope you get in on it, too!

~~~~~~~~

For the past two days, I've been shopping at Belk clothing store. Belk has bought out our favorite store, Parisian, and is consolidating the stock. Right now, massive amounts of clothes are 75% off retail and another 30% off that. I shopped Saturday night and Sunday afternoon (Lena and her daughter went with me yesterday) and haven't even touched a fourth of the racks. I've spent $183, but saved $640 off retail!! Blogging has definitely not been on my mind. So I poked around this morning and found the instructions for making a jewelry Christmas tree that I wrote several years ago. I know we're all in fall mode right now, but if you want to do this and don't have a ready stock of junk jewelry, it might take awhile to gather it up.

~~~~~~~~

Make your own jewelry Christmas
tree!

jewelrytree.jpg (14026 bytes)



It's easy peasy! Here's what you need:

Styrofoam cone. Size will depend on how many
findings you have to decorate with.

Christmas wrapping paper foil in red, green, gold, silver or any other color you'd like. You can even use kitchen aluminum foil.

Jewelry findings, buttons, beads. Use your imagination. If
you do choose jewelry, please use pieces of broken jewelry. I advise not deliberately using jewelry that is still in good condition, even if you think it's junk. Remember, today's junk is tomorrow's treasure.

Hot glue gun. Don't forget the glue!

*Optional addition #1 - Tiny Christmas tree lights

**Optional addition #2 - Beaded garland


1. Wrap the cone with foil paper. Overlap the ends and glue
together. Do not use hot glue directly on the styrofoam.
It'll melt.
2. Start hot gluing your findings on the foil covered cone. Use larger pieces first, then fill in the spaces with smaller findings.
3. Decide what you'd like to use for a star. This tree has a foil paper star glued onto a tiny piece of wire. Standing slightly crooked, isn't it?

*There are two ways to use a string of lights. You can put them
under the foil, using florist pins/picks, the little things shaped like
large staples, to hold the string in place. When you wrap the cone
in the foil, you need to make little slits where each light is, then press the foil down around the bulb. This is the hardest way to make it look "right", so you might try the next method. Put the lights on top of the foil, either hold the string in place with the florist pins or glue it down, then simply glue your findings on top of the light string. It is harder to cover the light strings this way.

**If you choose to use beaded garland, add it before adding the
findings, then procede to step 2.

Find a pretty, silver tray, mirror, doily, plate or saucer for a base
and you're done! You really don't even have to have a base.