My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Estate sale? Really?

OK. So there was an estate sale advertised not so far from me in a downtrodden area. In my town, you can go from poverty to upper class in two miles. I'm neither of those, but literally in the middle. Physically and economically. The sale was advertised for 7:00, but there's something about the sales in a poorer part of town. I always think there will be some old pottery or depression glass or hand-me-down furniture that they don't appreciate, so I couldn't wait. I was there at 6:15. The sellers were there and said to come on and shop. What a waste of my morning! And it turned out to be not one, but two estate sales combined! Pitiful. There were a few things outside, so I asked, "Inside, too?" Yes, a washer and dryer and a dresser. None of the nicknack-y stuff? No. As I was leaving, she said if I knew anyone looking for antique furniture to let them know. Huh? Was it just the two chairs and the dresser in the yard? Oh, no. She forgot to tell me when we were inside. Two more dressers and two chiffarobes, so back inside we went. Bleah. Well, one of the chiffarobes was OK, but would need to be painted and I just wasn't in the mood.

I did find out that her niece was a former piano student of mine, one of my favorites, so we had a little bit to talk about. The student and her parents were quite different from the estate sale house. I'd say the student's mother married quite well. The whole family is "good people", though, so please don't misunderstand. Daddy just didn't have much money.

I started to leave again. Got in the car and spotted two outbuildings. You know by now how my heart flutters at the mere mention of an outbuilding. Back inside I go to ask if there's anything - junk - in the buildings. Yes, but that's all it was, junk. Old tools, a really tall wardrobe thing...... I controlled my expression, I think. A really tall wardrobe thing? My mind immediately went to the wonderful, old, primitive wardrobe I found in an outbuilding once for $35.00. Can I see what's in there? Well, she didn't even think about someone wanting to see in there, but yes, if I wasn't afraid of spiders and such. Nobody had been in there in a long, long time. She really didn't even know what was in there. My pulse raced.

Her husband went to the car and got the key then stopped. He said he'd just thought of something. We can't go back there. Why? There's a goat in the fence. It belonged to the neighbor and said neighbor was doing them a favor by letting the goat stay there, so they didn't have to cut the grass. He couldn't (wouldn't) be responsible if the goat got out and if the goat bit somebody, they'd be liable and he would not take that responsibility. They'd just get all that out another day and have another sale. The wife tried to talk him into it, I said if it were me I'd tie the goat and get it all over with in one day, but he stood his ground. Would not budge. Talk about deflation, but at the same time anticipation. I really want to know what's in those buildings! But like the goob I am, I didn't even think to tell them to call me when they opened them up. Sigh. Guess I should make a weekly trip over there to be sure they didn't decide to clean them out and put the stuff on the street. I think letting the sister I know would be useless. There was something underlying in that situation. Just a feeling. Oh, I think they were on good enough terms, but the sister was conspicuously absent.

........An hour later......
I called Lena to see if she went. Yes and she bought three pieces of furniture! I kinda thought she might. But get this. A yard sale competitor/friend was there at the same time as Lena. Lena looked over at her and she was walking out with arms full of depression glass, wooden dough bowls and who knows what else? She had double arms full, the seller had double arms full. C. had gone through the kitchen cabinets. When I had asked if the nicknack-y stuff was for sale the seller pointed out a clock on the wall, a thermometer and a picture. When I asked about kitchen stuff, she said no. Hrmph. The only thing we can figure out was that C. just plowed right in and made herself at home. It was all so nasty, maybe the seller really hadn't gone through the cabinets or anything. Or maybe she was mad at me for showing up so early. Surely not. Oh, well. Ya can't win 'em all.

.......Hour three update.....
Can you tell I'm writing this as the day progresses? I went back to the sale. Lena had to go back and pick up her chiffarobe, so I met her over there. We both went through the kitchen. I looked on the back porch. Nothing. Did get a Bassett Hound figure. But.....I fussed at the seller a little bit. Exaggerating and laughing about how she didn't tell me I could go through the cabinets, making sure she knew I wasn't mad, but at the same time trying to make her feel a tad guilty for not mentioning it. THEN I gave her my phone number to call me when they go through the out buildings. Will she do it? Who knows? Now I wish I'd told her if she lost my number to get it from her sister. Foot! I'm so not good at this.

That's about all for today. We're headed out to do some shopping. Catch ya later!