
I'm finally making the drapes for the master bedroom! I've only had the fabric for, let's see, almost a year now. It was fairly expensive and I knew I had to be in just the right mood. Plus I was scared to cut into the fabric. And to think it was about 14 years ago I decided I wanted to make my living making drapes. What was I thinking? It seems I've forgotten most of what I knew then. It's taking me two days to do one panel. They're lined and I've done everything backwards - in the wrong sequence, not literally backwards - so I've had to rip out short lengths and hope to goodness I've got it right.
I've always had trouble visualizing "if I do this, it will look like that". That is a bit of an abstract thought for me. I tend to see just what's in front of me. Now, my husband has vision, but not with fabric. I do have a close friend who sews very well and I can and do call on her to talk me through some things. I've even had to swap my husband's work for her finishing my projects. Sigh.
I am enjoying working with this fabric, though. It came from Calico Corners and is so lush. So soft. And I'm looking forward to seeing them finished. I WILL do it myself this time! But I got confused again and had to come in here and do a Google search for some instructions.
As much as I prefer the warmth and solidness of a book, and I have several drapery making books, I'd rather get instructions like these off the internet. Strange.
Sequence? It seems to be hems > sides > top. Maybe the next four panels will go smoother and quicker.