My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Drapes and other things update

Just in case anyone's watching or wondering, here's the update on the bedroom drapes. I thought I'd got to the point yesterday where all that was left was the hem. Ha! As usual, I was wrong. All that thought and careful planning, waiting until I felt confident enough to tackle the project and I still messed up. Not a mess up as in, "Oh-no-I've-got-to-start-all-over", but a mess up as in "I-just-thought-I-was-almost-finished".

I had held the width of the fabric up to the a single window in the room thinking it was about double. Now where in the world did I get that idea??? Hmmm... Must be The Men-O-Pause. I've heard that affects a person's thinking. So for the double windows, I used two widths. One for each side. For the single window, I cut a width in half. I kept thinking that looked awfully skimpy, but plowed on ahead. Last night, it hit me like a ton of bricks. That was only 10 inches over a width! Groan!

The "easy" fix is to add those half widths to the whole widths for the double window and cut out two widths for the single window. No problem. Except that my personality, temperament, whatever, doesn't like do-overs. I hate things like the second coat of paint. Thinking I'm almost through then having to "add to" and "make more" is not my cup of tea. But I've "gone public" with the project, so I will persevere.

One other thing I did wrong was forgetting about pattern matching. Thank goodness it's not an obvious pattern! Gathered up it just looks like blue and green squiggles, so no one will notice. I hope. Foot! No one ever goes in the bedroom anyway! Who's gonna know, but me? The single window, the one I have to cut two new lenghts for, can be seen from the other end of the house. I will match those patterns.

What else is going on? Aww, nothing much. I'm fine tuning my website, Snapdragon Antiques. I've had the site in simple html for several years, but just the past year took it to the next step by making it shopping cart driven. On a non existent budget, it had to be a free shopping cart and I ended up with OScommerce. Talk about complicated! I guess tweaking anything php would bumfuzzle me, though. It's taken me this whole year, working off and on, mainly when I'm in the mood, but I'm almost there. It actually works and is live, but there are a few changes I'd like to make. So, true to form, when I get frustrated with one thing (drapes), I move to something else (site tweaking). Now I'm frustrated with two things!

It's very difficult for me to finish things. A nice sounding excuse is: I'm a perfectionist and don't like to finish things that I perceive as less than perfect. That might be true, but realistically, I'm more like a butterfly. OK. That sounds nice too, doesn't it? I flit from this thing to that, never landing in one place long enough to finish. That doesn't sound so great. It's been a constant struggle all my life. I've learned to accept that about my personality and try not to start much, so I don't have so many unfinished projects lying around any more. And I'm trying ever so hard to finish the things I start. I can do this. I think I can.....I think I can.....I think I can .....chug.....chug....chug