My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

The curbside find

My neighbor was putting things out on the road last week.



Doesn't look like much, does it? It was actually true to appearances. But, there was an adult potty chair. An adult potty chair always makes me think there could be some good stuff hiding in the piles and garbage cans. Since my neighbor is only 55 or so, and in good health, I knew it wasn't his, so I called him. Asked whose stuff that was. Turned out he was helping some friends clean out their late mother's storage room. See? Never assume garbage came from the house it is in front of. It's even a bit more convoluted than that. He actually put the piles of stuff in front of his neighbor's house. So it was someone else's stuff cleaned out by someone and put in front of still another's house. That person is in assisted living now. Does any of this make sense??

I asked him what was in the garbage. In his flat drawl he said, "Well, nothing you can sell on eBay." Do I have that reputation?! Why...spit....sputter....I shop for myself first! I told him I was always on the lookout for rusty junk most people think is trash. "Rusty junk?" "Yes." He still didn't think there was anything worth my time, but come on and look.

He was right. Most of the time when people tell me that, I come out with arm loads and they just look at me like I've totally lost it.

It wasn't a complete bust, though. I did get this wire stand.



It originally had a rattan tray, but it was all busted up. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

I'll tell y'all another time about some fantastic curbside finds.