My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

A great sale and a big boo boo

The post is kinda long today. Hope I don't bore you too much.

I had made up my mind to stay home on Friday. I knew of a sale about 50 miles from here, but told myself that it was too far away for one sale, I didn't need to spend any money, I really should concentrate on those drapes, etc. Carol, the friend I spent last Saturday afternoon with, called and asked if I knew about the sale in Ragland. Yes, but I thought I'd sit this one out. We talked a bit, some of which was about how good the sale sounded, and after I hung up I looked at the ad for the sale again. The phrase, "two out buildings full" got me. I figured her calling, my reading the ad again and seeing "two out buildings" must be a sign for me to go. A sign from who (whom?) I'm not sure. The devil or the angel on my shoulders? I spent $70 I shouldn't have spent, but I got some good stuff and learned some things I didn't know, but needed to.

Lena, better known here as Ms L, was at her daughters in Birmingham. When I got to the sale and saw how much stuff they had, I called her and said she'd better get there pronto. It should have taken her a little more than half an hour, but she took her time and didn't get there until they were about to close up for the day. We went back together today with her husband and a friend in tow to haul off our large purchases for us.

Here are the two out buildings:


Notice the potty chair in the picture above. Remember I've said that's always a good sign. I do wish I'd got a picture of the man sitting on it. Resting! He was resting!


I don't know the people in the picture up front, but if you look closely, past the lady on the left, you'll see a red shirt. Just beside red shirt is someone in white. That's Lena. She's looking at the fabulous, pine cupboard she bought. She's also in the first picture around the side of the building. The lady in white. Standing there, thinking about some very, very rustic shelves and an old screen door that, it turned out, were already sold. I think that's her in those pictures. I remember she was wearing a white shirt. How 'bout it, Lena? Is that you?

Inside the house was a fantastic collection of chalkware:



I bought none of that.

There was also a collection of lady head vases:



I bought none of those, either.

I did buy this:


There's an antique light fixture, a framed embroidery that reads, "Joy delights in Joy", an antique, composition head, cloth body, baby doll, a little chalk lady shelf sitter (she wasn't with the other chalk things). The pink thing close to the top of the picture is a silk hankie holder, the green book thing beside it is an antique photo album. There's a little Christmas girl with a big present vase and the bird things are Jay Bird writing tablets. I thought they might be good for scrapbooking. Then there are all those doilies, embroideries and collars.

Here's a closeup of the doll. Isn't it the sweetest thing? I don't remember the cracks when I bought it. I'm afraid I bumped my bag and did it.


The best purchase was these two doors:



You really can't tell much about the door on the bottom. There's another, white, door peeping out from behind. They didn't have a price on them, so when I asked how much, I was told $5 for both. I didn't know there were some yucky, metal doors back in that corner and the seller didn't know these two, great doors were back there. He was very nice when he realized he'd told me the price for the metal doors, though. He didn't try to get any more for them. These are going to go a long way toward ambiance at the shop.

Pictures to come later of the weighs-a-ton wardrobe mirrored door and three vintage dresses.

~~~~~~~~~~
Now, I'm going to share the big boo-boo with you. I feel awful! Last week, my friend, Tiff, said she wanted to buy a little dog figurine I had on the web site and eBay store to give to another friend whose mother had just died. I didn't take it down off my eBay store or the web site right then and yesterday, someone bought it! Paid for it with PayPal. I felt bad about not taking it off, but thought Tiff would understand. But it gets worse. Today, I got a check for the same little dog figurine! This lady had bought it off the web site on the 16th and I never got a notification, so didn't know to close it on eBay!

I really prefer life to run smoothly with no mess ups on my part. It doesn't. And more often than not it's entirely my fault. I just want us all to be happy and certainly don't want to be the cause of someone's unhappiness. That makes me sad, too. So I've apologized profusely and did what I felt was the only fair thing to do. Sold it to the first buyer. Now I need to see if I can figure out why I didn't get the sale notification from the web site. This cannot happen again.

It seems I'm on a role, though. I was supposed to pick up two baby shower gifts for my daughter's best friend. One from me and one from my daughter. I forgot. The shower's tomorrow. She's registered at a store here in town and we wanted to get her something from there, so it was my job to handle that. I remembered at 4:30 this afternoon, flew to the store only to see they closed at 4:00 and are not open on Sunday.

I called my daughter and told her. She sighed, gave a little laugh and said they were just talking about my ADD. I don't think I want to know what they were saying.

On a happy note, my son is coming up next weekend for the first Auburn ballgame! He lives in south Florida and we don't get to see him often enough. Looking forward to that!