
This is a picture of my collection of vintage tree toppers. Most cost a dollar or less, but I think I remember paying as much as $5 for one of them. Yes, you really have to hunt for the bargains. I usually have them in candlesticks, but this year piled them in the Roseville console bowl I inherited from my mother. She had a cactus planted in it. I tried to keep the cactus alive for years, but it died a slow death. I'm happier with it empty, anyway.
But how did all those boxes full of decorations I shared in a previous post come to be, you ask? Well, sit back and I'll tell ya.
Ever since I can remember, I loved Christmas. All things Christmas. The meaning, family get togethers, food, gifts, and yes, the decorations. The gaudier the better. I loved the late 1940s - 1950s, dime store ornaments my mother had. She didn't share my love. She'd say, "Those old, cheap, dime store ornaments? I don't want to use them." But I'd insist. Every year, I'd lovingly put the ornaments on the tree and find the perfect spot for the little pine cone elf band. She'd just roll her eyes and shake her head. She really wasn't into Christmas as much as I was. She was the type who always got depressed at Christmas. She thought her life was too much UN-like the movies where all was perfect. She had unrealistic expectations of the season. There was a lot more that went into all that such as her shyness and insecurities, that type thing. The point is, I was the reason we decorated. I pushed. Daddy never enjoyed decorating for Christmas. Still doesn't.
I grew up and got married. I still have the first Christmas ornaments I ever bought. A box of four glittered, Styrofoam bells I bought at Bob's Bargain Barn for 5¢ for the box. (I ran across them the other day, but can't find them right now or I'd take a picture for you.) That was in the summer of our first year together. Our first Christmas rolled around and all I had was those four ornaments. We cut down a tree on his dad's land and bought a few lights and some balls on sale at Zayer, 50¢ a box. That tree was pitiful. We had no money, you see. But it was ours and we were so proud.
We were still broke the next year and the next and I took to making ornaments. Nothing like you all are making these days. Those things I made were tacky smachy! Uuuugleeee! I also started shopping after Christmas sales for marked down ornaments. Got some good ones then. Or so I thought. I refuse to use any of them now. Do you see history repeating itself? I finally understand why Momma didn't like those dime store ornaments of hers. One thing, for her they represented a time when they couldn't afford anything else. But more than that, she truly thought they were ugly. Just like I think the ornaments from my early married years are ugly. However, I do think 1970s ornaments are not as pretty as 1940s ornaments.
I was determined never to have an ugly tree again and when I began going to estate sales in earnest, I started finding the old ornaments I loved so well and started stocking up. I continue to find them and just can't bring myself to part with any. So the collection grows and grows. I won't get rid of the '70s ornaments in case my grandchildren find them charming. Erin likes the same older ornaments I like and Philip is like my dad. He grouses and grumbles when he has to decorate much. I'm not sure how his wife feels about Christmas decorating, but I do know she's not a sentimental type person.
So there you have it. The story of why I have this much Christmas stuff. It's a compulsion. It's like when people who lived through the Depression save string and aluminum foil. I chose one, small collection to show you to begin with so as not to overwhelm you. I'll continue to share one or two collections at a time.
Walp. I think I'll pull out a few more boxes tonight. See ya!
~~~~~~
But how did all those boxes full of decorations I shared in a previous post come to be, you ask? Well, sit back and I'll tell ya.
Ever since I can remember, I loved Christmas. All things Christmas. The meaning, family get togethers, food, gifts, and yes, the decorations. The gaudier the better. I loved the late 1940s - 1950s, dime store ornaments my mother had. She didn't share my love. She'd say, "Those old, cheap, dime store ornaments? I don't want to use them." But I'd insist. Every year, I'd lovingly put the ornaments on the tree and find the perfect spot for the little pine cone elf band. She'd just roll her eyes and shake her head. She really wasn't into Christmas as much as I was. She was the type who always got depressed at Christmas. She thought her life was too much UN-like the movies where all was perfect. She had unrealistic expectations of the season. There was a lot more that went into all that such as her shyness and insecurities, that type thing. The point is, I was the reason we decorated. I pushed. Daddy never enjoyed decorating for Christmas. Still doesn't.
I grew up and got married. I still have the first Christmas ornaments I ever bought. A box of four glittered, Styrofoam bells I bought at Bob's Bargain Barn for 5¢ for the box. (I ran across them the other day, but can't find them right now or I'd take a picture for you.) That was in the summer of our first year together. Our first Christmas rolled around and all I had was those four ornaments. We cut down a tree on his dad's land and bought a few lights and some balls on sale at Zayer, 50¢ a box. That tree was pitiful. We had no money, you see. But it was ours and we were so proud.
We were still broke the next year and the next and I took to making ornaments. Nothing like you all are making these days. Those things I made were tacky smachy! Uuuugleeee! I also started shopping after Christmas sales for marked down ornaments. Got some good ones then. Or so I thought. I refuse to use any of them now. Do you see history repeating itself? I finally understand why Momma didn't like those dime store ornaments of hers. One thing, for her they represented a time when they couldn't afford anything else. But more than that, she truly thought they were ugly. Just like I think the ornaments from my early married years are ugly. However, I do think 1970s ornaments are not as pretty as 1940s ornaments.
I was determined never to have an ugly tree again and when I began going to estate sales in earnest, I started finding the old ornaments I loved so well and started stocking up. I continue to find them and just can't bring myself to part with any. So the collection grows and grows. I won't get rid of the '70s ornaments in case my grandchildren find them charming. Erin likes the same older ornaments I like and Philip is like my dad. He grouses and grumbles when he has to decorate much. I'm not sure how his wife feels about Christmas decorating, but I do know she's not a sentimental type person.
So there you have it. The story of why I have this much Christmas stuff. It's a compulsion. It's like when people who lived through the Depression save string and aluminum foil. I chose one, small collection to show you to begin with so as not to overwhelm you. I'll continue to share one or two collections at a time.
Walp. I think I'll pull out a few more boxes tonight. See ya!