My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gobble, gobble, gobble

thanksgivingmantle1

Since I'm anxious to start Christmas decorations and take pictures and, and, and..... everything, I want to get the Thanksgiving mantle out of the way.

This is my small turkey and pilgrim collection with a couple of the kids grammar school turkey creations added in.

thanksgivingmantle2
Ah, see the camera reflection? At least it's not my ugly, "concentrating on taking a picture" face. LOL

thanksgivingmantle3
The ugly, "concentrating on taking a picture" face was actually in this picture. That's why you don't see the top of the candlesticks.

thanksgivingmantle4
Most of the turkeys and pilgrams are old. A few of the turkeys are from the 1980s or so, but only a few. There are Gurley candles, salt and pepper shakers, a candle holder and a napkin holder. And those two fan tail things on each end. They are from the '80s for sure. I don't like them on the ends like that, but suspect I probably just shouldn't use them at all.

~~~~~

I CAN SEE! I CAN SEE!

Got my new contacts yesterday and the difference in my vision is remarkable! I've worn hard contacts since 1970. Got them over the Christmas holidays my 10th grade year. I'm still in hard contacts. Gas permeable these days. I considered going with soft, but was told my vision would not be as clear as with hard. Not having very good corrected vision with hard, I certainly didn't want it to be worse! It seems every time I'd have my eyes checked and get a new prescription, we'd go through all the, "which is better - one or two?" Then they'd stop! My mind would be screeming, "But it's not good!!!" They'd act like that was as good as it was going to be. Now, tell me. To use an old cliche, how is it they can put a man on the moon, but can't give someone with astigmatism 20/20 vision? I'll never understand that.

I chose a different eye doctor this time. She did all the tests, ordered the contacts, tried them on me then went through the "can you read this line" tests again. And tweaked the prescription. That's never happened before! So I waited another week and got my new set yesterday. The world is sharp and clear! My computer glasses are even too strong! I'm so excited! I still can't read a street sign until it's too late to turn, but all things considered, that's a minor thing. I take Ocuvite, but my dad has been taking something he has to order. He says it has helped his vision more than Ocuvite. I think I'll try it, too.

Some day I might get the courage to try Lasik surgery. My daddy has me scared. He watched that 20/20 or 60 Minutes show years ago where they were talking about people who ended up with messed up eyes. Sigh. He even brings it up still. If I did it, I sure wouldn't tell him about it.