My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, November 16, 2007

6000 Square Feet of Antiques at an Estate Sale

11-16-1

That was the line of parked cars we saw in front of us when we found an empty spot for our vehicle this morning. There are more over the hill, almost as many behind us and down another side street. Cars as far as the eye could see. They even had a police lady directing traffic and a man on a golf cart taking people to and from the sale.

The ad said it was the 6000 square foot home of a prominent doctor. It also said there was enough stuff to fill an antique mall and.......a basement full! You know what attracted Lena and me. The basement.

It was an hour's drive from here and we arrived about 20 minutes after opening. We headed straight for the basement full. I don't know about her, but I was envisioning a basement full like we saw this past summer. One where I spent over an hour plundering and making piles just in the basement. This was not like that. The basement was only a tiny, half size basement of nothing. It was not full! Almost empty, really, but there was a lot outside. Perhaps all that had begun life in the basement and had been drug outside. There were boxes on the ground and everything in them was a dollar each. For some things that was fine, but for others, it was way too much. Out of those boxes, I only bought these three things:



11-16-3

Got all three for a dollar. I really like the ornament hanger box and the little Made In Japan houses will go in my collection.




11-16-2

Inside the basement was this mid century, aquarium stand. You can't tell a whole lot about it from the picture, but the design of the iron is pretty unique. I almost didn't get the sheet metal trays on top until Lena walked by and said I'd better. What was I thinking? Of course they're charming and add a potting table feel to it. Lena found more than I did in boxes. Maybe we'll get to see her loot today or tomorrow.

Upstairs, was fabulous! Tables and tables of wonderful glassware and luscious porcelain, all priced appropriately. Oh, and the antique furniture was to die for, but at $875+ each piece, well, we weren't tempted to buy any. I did take a $20 chance on an 1899 White House Cook Book thinking they sold for $100 or so on eBay. Don't know where I got that idea. If they did, they aren't now. I should be able to get my money back.

Speaking of eBay, here's a tip for those of you who sell there. Sacred Harp hymnbooks. They're a southern thing, but were used throughout the US. I just sold one for $102.50, the other for $141.50. They're hard to find, but do crop up from time to time and not many people know they have value. So keep your eyes peeled for them.


sacredharpbooks


Here are the auctions if you're interested in seeing them up close.

Book one.

Book two.

~~~~

I continue on my cleaning spree. Got 2-1/2 rooms done yesterday! Woohoo! LOL Of course, that messed up the room I'd already cleaned, so now I'll have to go back and straighten it. Sigh. We didn't finish taking the remaining items home from the booth yesterday, nor did we paint trim. Nothing ever goes as planned around here. Thank goodness we're flexible. Or I am. Ricky is when it pertains to me. Not so much if they are his plans.