My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Will I ever get the house cleaned?

Well, shoot!The only way I was going to get out this morning was if there was an estate sale here, and they are so rare in my little town, I figured I was safe. Ha! Not a chance.

It was advertised in the newspaper rather than the little classified paper where all the other sales are advertised. This meant potentially fewer people. Sometimes that turns out to be true, sometimes not. Today it was. Ms L and I arrived about 45 minutes early and waited. Two other cars pulled up and waited. And we all waited.....and waited......and waited..... Starting time was upon us and there was no sign of any sellers. Finally..... ooh, ooh! Two vehicles (or was that three?) careened into the driveway and several people got out. We all jumped out of our cars ready to be let in the door. No, they wouldn't let us in, yet. "It'll be a little while, yet", they said. So the four of us waited at the door. Then another shopper came up. That made a total of five. Can you believe that?! Five people waiting in line to go to an estate sale! It's usually more like fifty five!

The sellers' little dog entertained us a few more minutes as we waited. With baited breath, we waited. At last! The door was opened unto vast treasures! Cough, ahem. Where were those treasures? This house was neat as a pen. Some kitchen things, lots of newish, paperback books, some religious hardback books and.......wait a minute.......in the back bedroom.......the second room I went in. I tend to go opposite from everyone else. Sometimes that strategy works. This was one of those times. Old costume jewelry all neatly laid out on the dresser. The picture is my messy pile, not their neat rows. (I know I take the worst pictures known to man when I don't have my tripod.)

Not a huge haul, but enough to keep me occupied while I wait for my son and daughter-in-law to drive up.

Did I get the house ready for them to be here this weekend? As ready as it's gonna be, which would only be good enough for people with low house cleaning standards. My floors are fairly clean, most of the furniture is dusted and there are only a few dirty dishes in the kitchen. The bathroom they'll use is very clean, thanks to my husband and the room they'll sleep in is clean. No drapes, only sheers, but hey! I can't get around to it all! Drapes in that room are waiting to be made. I have the fabric, but not the trim. Then I'll be the one to make them and I procrastinate. They'll get done some day, but as long as there is a sale to go to, I'm doing that first.

Let's just hope they don't look in the master bedroom..........