We found the appropriate tool, but still those bolts weren't moving. By this time, I'm getting a little worried. I wanted those shelves! They were vintage, had a nice, blue paint and a goodly amount of rust and crust. Perfect for the shop. The helpful fellow gave up on me. Next step was to take them out to the car and see if, by chance, they just happened to fit. These things are a little taller than I and quite heavy and unwieldy. I'm dragging them through the house, half carrying, half dragging. The estate sale handler just sat there. He - yes, HE - didn't lift a finger. He had someone else taking the money while he just sat in a chair off to the side. Finally, I got them out to the car, but realized I would not be able to lift them by myself when an angel walked up. A lady I'd never met before stopped and asked if I needed any help. God bless her. She and I wrestled the shelves in the car only to find out it was just as I suspected. They didn't fit. We lugged them back in the house. Now, we were both determined to figure out a way.
We started undoing all the bolts that would come out and wouldn't you know it? The ones that wouldn't budge were permanent. They were supposed to be permanent! It came apart into two pieces that would fit in the car! Yippee!!! The estate sale man sat and watched us struggle the whole time. He is able bodied and could have helped, but he is not a southern gentleman. I always knew he was a little rude and not terribly friendly, but ..... oh well.
So I get them to the shop and think I'd better put it together to be sure I got all the parts. Typical of me, I didn't make it home with two brackets (side pieces). The sale was still going on Sunday and I had a wedding shower not so very far from there, so back I went. No brackets. They say they haven't seen them. I did have a not so nice thought that maybe the seller hid them out of meaness, but left my phone number and email. Of course I never heard from them.
I didn't get them put together until today. I figured I could leave the brackets off the bottom. Ricky can probably make something for them. I rarely use unladylike language, but quite a few "shoots" and "dang-its" crossed my lips, but what I really want to say is this: It took me TWO F'ING HOURS to put those WRETCHED SHELVES together! I wasn't liking them so much any more, but I think I'm over that now. Here they are. I do think I'll get some glass cut for them.

What do you suppose it means that I had exactly the right amount of bolts? Did I misplace two brackets and their bolts? Or is it possible they never existed?
~~~~~~
Lena gave her view of Friday's sales and the policeman on her blog, White Cats and Roses
~~~~~
I don't know if I'll get to go to the sales tomorrow or not. Ricky will be home in the morning and if he's in one of those, "Why do you want to run off and buy more stuff when you don't have room for the stuff you have as it is" moods, I might stay home.
I've just reread this post and oh, my! It sounds like it was written by a 4th grader. Guess I'm kinda sleepy or something.
I've just reread this post and oh, my! It sounds like it was written by a 4th grader. Guess I'm kinda sleepy or something.