My blog has moved and changed names!

You will be automatically redirected to the new blog, Just Vintage Home. If that does not occur, visit
http://justvintagehome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It's spring in Alabama!

Well, no. Not really, but there's something in the air that makes me think spring. Maybe it's because we've had such cold weather. It's always cold in the spring. Maybe it's because the days are getting longer by minutes each day. Maybe it's because I went to nine estate sales over the past weekend! Yes, they're going strong after a winter break. Whew! I was really getting antsy.

I can't believe it's been two whole weeks since I've blogged. Hey, I'm not the only one! But I guess my blogging break needs to be over. We've been working at the shop and I'm still trying to get Christmas put up. Yes, you read that right. My dining room table still has piles of Christmas waiting for a box to sleep in until next year. I was determined to organize it all this year and we've spent a small fortune on plastic storage boxes. I still need a few more to be finished.

The shop is a royal mess still, but it's coming together. A February opening isn't looking promising, but March should be the magic month. Hmmm. Didn't I say that about June and October and December?

At least I have a little to talk about now. I can share last weekend's finds with you all. Thursday was hair day for me and Lena joined me in some pre-salon junking. One antique shop had up to 60% off and I found an old, large, divided drawer being used as a shelf in the restroom. With 60% off, it only cost $10 and provides $40 worth of character. I was happy.

Then Lena and I went to three (Wasn't it three, Lena?) estate sales on Friday. One, we couldn't find. We rode all around Homewood in all different directions, but never got as far as this little road. We finally stopped at the police station where it was my assignment to go in and ask directions. Well, I met a young officer on his way out and asked him. He was kind and found it on his GPS (I have one, but not with us.) and even drew me a map. Lena says I was in flirt mode, but I think she was imagining that. There aren't many things more pathetic than a fat, middle aged woman flirting with a 28 year old guy in uniform. Besides she is the one who noticed how hot he was. I was too scared.

Without further talk, here's the bounty for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I also bought a shelving unit, but it deserves a blog post all it's own.


1-26-5
That's the big, divided drawer. Doesn't it make a good display? Inside it is a '60s child's book, The Secret of the Martian Moons, a tin caboose missing it's back wheels, two glass knobs, a "whistle for your milk" mug where the little bird is actually a whistle, a green, Jack in the Pulpit vase, a straw purse with Lucite handles and trim, a glass towel bar. To the right of the big drawer is a yellow plant stand with "Mod" stationery inside. The stationery is from 1969 or 70. I know because I had some exactly like it!

1-26-4
There's the book and caboose again, two gas heater bricks standing in front of a white painted flower pot, and an iron tray thing. Maybe something glass sat inside?? I don't have a clue what that thing is, but it looks like a shadow box to me. Except I don't know how it would hang or stand........

1-26-3
I have no idea why I bought the house biscuit jar. The lid is even broken and glued back. It was a last minute grab. I do like the plate in back with the pink roses and the chalk, cherub thing is OK. Lena found it first, but passed.

1-26-2
Ah, old bras and corset things.

1-26-7
You can't tell much about this, but that's a big frame that I might decide to keep and an old-ish, shopping cart. It was only a dollar, so I figured I should be able to find some use for it.

1-26-1
An elf convention in one box! I have enough of my own now that I feel like I can sell these. I might reconsider selling Grandma, though.

1-26-6
This is what I've decided to keep for sure. There are three other boot mugs that aren't pictured. Many of the small Christmas balls have indentions in them. I didn't have any like that.

Maybe it won't be so long before the next post. What? Do we hear an echo in here? Have I said that before? We'll be working at the shop for the next few days, but I might get a few minutes to blog.